Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Grilled Ranchera Steak and Polenta

              If you ask my husband who makes the best nachos...he'd definitely tell you, me. But that's for another night. Tonight, I decided to take a different spin on Mexican and instead of the usual nachos, tacos, fajitas or enchiladas, I created my own spin on blending the classic flavors of spicy grilled steak and creamy polenta.  
              I marinated pieces of skirt steak in a sauce of ranchera salsa, sugar, adobo seasoning, hot sauce and lime juice. I then grilled it just 2  minutes on each side. I put this over pan fried polenta (store bought) seasoned simply with salt and pepper and a bit of olive oil. I topped the polenta with ricotta cheese that I had mixed with chopped green onion, salt, pepper and chili powder. After layering this concoction,  I spooned a simple salad of diced avocado (a steal this time of year, and ripe!), sweet red bell pepper and vidalia onion tossed with salt, pepper, lime juice and olive oil as a  side. 



               This was a very simple, budget-friendly and flavorful dish. I made delicious Gold Guava Margaritas to accompany our dinner. What would a home made Mexican meal be without one?

No comments:

Post a Comment