Sunday, October 3, 2010

Carne Asada with Elote and Avocado Salad

My husband took me to Sedona for our honeymoon last year.  We ate at some fantastic restaurants while there.  One in particular, Elote Cafe, was memorable for its signature dish simply called Elote, Mexican for roasted corn.  I took a stab at recreating this dish by memory and taste.  I'd like to say I came pretty darn close.

I marinated a skirt steak in ranchero sauce with adobo seasoning for an hour.  During that time, I prepared 6 ears of corn by soaking them (husks ON) in salted and sugared water for about 30 minutes.  After they were soaked, I grilled them for about 10 minutes, turning once and watched for fire (you want them to scorch a little).  Once they had steamed through, I shucked them and cut the kernels off into a deep bowl (make sure to use a deep bowl as this can be messy).  I added the following to the corn: heavy cream, sugar, mayonaise, fresh goat cheese, fresh squeezed lime juice, paprika, salt and pepper, cayenne pepper.  I then put it all into a dish and into the oven to bake for 30 minutes until brown.  The result was a flavorful, tangy, creamy, smoky creamed corn of sorts.  Soooooo good.  I don't believe this could be made with anything other than fresh grilled corn, frozen or canned would NOT produce the same flavors.

I made a very simple avocado salad by chopping garden tomatoes, fresh cilantro, avocado, lime juice and of course s and p.  Toss together with a little olive oil and serve over the steak.  Margaritas are a perfect addition to this meal :)

No comments:

Post a Comment