Sunday, October 3, 2010

Jamaican Jerk Chicken Skewers with Coconut Rice and Tropical Fruit Salsa

I wanted to try Jerk seasoning and decided chicken would be the simplest way to go.  I bought an imported wet jerk sauce and marinated the chicken tenders for about 2 hours. During that time,  I soaked the 10 inch wooden skewers in water to prevent them from burning during cooking.  I cooked jasmine rice according to package directions and when finished, I poured about 3/4 of a can of coconut milk and salt and pepper into the rice and continued to let it soak with the lid on (off the heat) while I made the salsa and cooked the chicken on my stove top grill pan appx 4 mins per side.  Judging by the warning on the jerk seasoning jar about its heat, I chose a sweet salsa to cool it down.

Pineapple Mango Salsa
Fresh pineapple cut into small dice, fresh mango cut the same way, one small vidalia onion cut also into small dice, appx 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger, green onion, a splash of OJ and salt and pepper.  Toss and let sit in the fridge until serving.

I made my own version of a Mai-Tai to go with this dinner.  Combine Bacardi gold rum, pineapple juice, OJ, a splash of lime juice, a splash of grenadine and a splash of coconut juice in a shaker, shake with lots of ice.  Pour into short glasses with fresh fruit garnish.  This whole dinner was great, took my husband and I to the islands for the evening :)

No comments:

Post a Comment